One way that our family saves money on health care is by using essential oils. Essential oils are extremely powerful and versatile and they have helped our family in so many ways!
Essential oils are a great natural alternative to many prescription and OTC medications (never stop taking medication without consulting your doctor first). Many of them also boost your immune system which will keep you healthy and out of the doctor’s office – thereby saving you money on copays and taking sick days off from work!
Aside from all the ways you can use essential oils for your health, they also make great chemical-free additions to homemade cleaning and beauty products and air fresheners.
How Our Family Uses Essential Oils
I was SO skeptical of these oils at first. Even after I got my oil kit, I wasn’t sure they would live up to their claims. But, let me tell you, I don’t think a single day has gone by since I got my kit that I haven’t used at least one of my essential oils! They’ve truly become “essential” for our family!
Here are just a few of the ways our family personally uses essential oils:
- Migraines/Headaches – I dab Peppermint Essential Oil on my temples, forehead, and the back of my neck and my migraine is usually gone within 20 minutes!
- Seasonal Allergies – My family uses a combination of Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint Essential Oils for help with managing our seasonal allergies.
- Sinus Infections – My husband uses the Breathe Again Roll-On at night which has helped tremendously with his frequent sinus issues.
- Bug Bites – I rub Purification Essential Oil on bug bites to take out the itch – I also make a homemade bug repellant with the oils.
- Burns – Lavender Essential Oil helps better than anything else I’ve ever tried for burns (like when I grab a hot pan that just came out of the oven and forget to use an oven mitt! Ouch!)
- Back Pain – When my husband gets back aches, Pan Away Essential Oil helps to ease the pain.
- Cuts & Scrapes – There are a variety of oils that are disinfectant that can be applied to cuts and scrapes. I like to use Lavender Essential Oil because it’s antibacterial, antiseptic, and soothing.
- Insomnia – When I’m having trouble sleeping, I spray some of my homemade lavender pillow mist on my pillow to help me sleep.
- Immune Support – We try to stay healthy and out of the doctor’s office, so we rub Thieves Essential Oil on the bottoms of our feet to give our immune systems a boost.
- Air Freshener – I diffuse various essential oils as a chemical-free air freshener for our home.
- Cleaning – I use either a mix of vinegar and essential oils or Thieves Oil Cleaner to clean my entire home without chemicals.
- Perfume – I like to rub on some Joy or Valor Essential Oils for a mild and pleasant scent.
As you can see, we use essential oils for a lot of things! I am so thankful that our family was introduced to essential oils by a friend. Essential oils have been such a blessing to our family and many of our friends, which is why I am eager to share the benefits of essential oils with all of you!
A word of caution. The essential oils I use are specifically therapeutic-grade oils. They cannot be found on the shelf in your local store. The oils you find in stores may be easy on the pocket book, and may smell good, but they are not intended to be used on your body and I cannot speak to their results. If you are curious about which oils I’ve chosen to use on my family and where I buy them, keep reading.
Why Use Essential Oils?
Essential oils have amazing healing properties. Essential oils are used for aromatherapy, massage therapy, emotional health, personal care, nutritional supplements, household solutions, and much more.
Just a sampling of the benefits of essential oils:
- Essential oils are antibacterial, anticancerous, antifungal, anti-infectious, antimicrobial, antitumor, antiparasitic, antiviral, and antiseptic.
- Essential oils may detoxify the cells and blood in the body.
- Essential oils are very powerful antioxidants.
- Essential oils are so small in molecular size that they can quickly penetrate the skin.
- Essential oils are lipid-soluble and capable of penetrating cell walls. They can affect every cell of the body within 20 minutes and then be metabolized like other nutrients. (Source: Quick Reference Guide for Using Essential Oils)
For just about any ailment that you or your family could experience, there is likely an oil that would be beneficial to use. Plus, each oil also has a plethora of uses. For instance, lavender essential oil can be used for burns, insect bites, headaches, PMS, insomnia, stress, and much more.
You can read literally thousands of testimonies to the benefits of essential oils.
Essential oils can be used to help with:
- ear infections
- minor burns
- insect bites
- cold sores
- strep throat
- motion sickness
- and SO MUCH MORE!
The benefits of using essential oils are truly amazing and the side-effects are very mild (for instance “hot” oils like oregano can cause skin irritation if used without a carrier oil). Compare that to the laundry list of side effects that comes with using pharmaceuticals!
How Much Do Essential Oils Cost?
Obviously you’re going to want to know how pricey these oils are. The cost of oils will vary from brand to brand. It depends on the quality of the ingredients, the methods of distillation, and the purity of the oil (some companies add ingredients to “stretch” the oil). Personally, I think you get what you pay for when it comes to essential oils.
“LOW PRICES MAY ALSO MEAN THE OIL IS A SECOND OR THIRD DISTILLATION OF THE PLANT MATERIAL, in which case it will have far less therapeutic value. Sometimes oils are diluted with another plant that has a similar aroma, but costs less…” (Source: excerpt from Holistic Aromatherapy, A. Berwick, 1994, Llewellyn Pub., St. Paul, MN pp. 168)
I personally choose to use Young Living Essential Oils because of their quality, reputation, cost-effectiveness, customer-service, and seed-to-seal guarantee. I believe in their integrity and desire to provide the best possible 100% therapeutic grade essential oils. I believe they are the best choice for our family and I highly recommend their oils.
Young Living offers many ways to help you save money on essential oils. You can join as a wholesale member to get a 24% discount off the retail price (this is the option I chose). They run monthly specials plus they offer great monthly promos where you can get free oils with your purchase! You can also earn credit from all your purchases to use toward free products when you participate in their rewards program (details below).
So, while Young Living Essential Oils certainly aren’t “cheap,” there are many ways to make them affordable. Definitely more affordable than gas to drive to the doctor, co-pays, prescriptions, OTC medications, and sick days from work….and then repeat all of that for when you begin to deal with the side effects of those medications.
Also, your health is worth it. Not living with daily headaches, sinus pain, congestion, depression, etc. is priceless.
How to Get Started
If you’re excited to try these essential oils for yourself, here’s how to get started!
There are two ways to purchase Young Living Essential Oils. You can purchase as a customer or as a wholesale member.
- No obligations whatsoever.
- Pay full retail price.
- Save 24% off the retail price!
- No obligation to sell anything – EVER.
- Option to receive benefits for telling others about Young Living (something you’ll probably do anyway once you try the products). But again, NO obligation. This is entirely optional.
- Get support and education right from the company and there is a private Facebook group for resources and learning.
- $50 PV per year minimum purchase required (just like Costco/Sam’s Club, except you actually get products for the fee!)
If you don’t make a 50 PV purchase, your distributor account will go inactive on the 13th month. There is no penalty for this and you can still continue to purchase as a customer if you wish. If you decide to reactivate your distributor account you can call Young Living Customer Care with a 100 PV (point volume) order. How simple is that?
You can also save even more by joining Young Living’s optional monthly auto-ship program, Essential Rewards. With this great program you get:
- Reduced shipping
- Earn 10%-20% of every purchase in credit towards free products!
- Great promotions for free products with minimum purchase amounts
- $50 PV minimum monthly purchase
- You can change your cart contents monthly.
- Cancel anytime (just use your points before you do or you’ll lose them!)
If you’re ready to get started with Young Living Essential Oils, here’s the step-by-step process to sign up:
1. Click here to begin the enrollment process.
2. Select “Wholesale Member” so you can get the 24% wholesale discount, or select Customer to pay retail.
3. Enter my member number: 1456765 in the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID spots (the link above should auto-fill).
4. Choose any of the starter kits to activate your membership. I highly recommend the Premium Starter Kit for $150. This kit includes 11 bottles of Young Living’s most popular essential oils (Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Thieves, Valor, PanAway, Purification, Joy, Stress Away, and Peace & Calming) AND a Home Diffuser (a $75 value!), samples, and more! It’s truly the best bang for your buck!
5. Enter your payment info and check out.
6. Look for an email from me with more information about how to join our great Facebook group!
Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them!
Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.