Fun Things To Do When You’re Broke
Living frugally seems to get harder and harder every year. Almost everything costs money and especially anything fun.
I decided I was sick of trying to figure out what to do all the time when I was trying to save money, and I was sure I wasn’t the only one having this issue. So, I decided to sit down and make a list of fun things to do when you’re broke!
- Visit Your Local Library. Libraries have a plethora of things to do in addition to reading books. They have vast film collections, special guests, and they often have many free events that are suitable for all ages. These could include book club meetups, lectures, crafting workshops, and more. Check your local library for a listing of all their offerings!
- Make a Bucket List. This is something I think everyone should have. What a better time to do it? You can dream, imagine, and write it all down on paper. Have you always wanted to ride a hot air balloon? Go skydiving? See Niagara Falls? Maybe even make 2 bucket lists, one that has activities that cost money, and one that are free or cheap.
- Teach Yourself a Trade or Hobby. Learn to knit, learn how to fix up a car, learn how to speak another language. The possibilities are endless and sometimes all it takes is a few YouTube videos!
- Check Your Community Calendar. Most every community (or nearby community) has events and activities going on every week. Many of these events and activities are free (or cheap) and could open up a new opportunity to learn something new or meet new people. Try your local Chamber of Commerce’s website or Facebook page to see what’s going on near you.
- Go Geocaching. Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity where you use GPS and other navigational tools to hide and see containers/items called “geocaches” at specific locations marked by coordinates on your app. This is free, fun, and a great way to get some exercise and possibly meet new friends. Check out this list of the best geocaching apps to get started!
The possibility of frugal entertainment and activities is a reality and some of them are actually more fun than going out and spending a lot of money (or any money at all).
What are some free or cheap things you like to do for fun?