Affordable Wellness Activities for the Whole Family
Spending time with family is a priority that is often difficult to find the time to do, but it’s extremely important and develops such priceless memories. With busy day-to-day schedules, families will often plan big vacations or activities to spend time together and get away from the hustle and bustle.
These types of activities could get pricey and often end up being more stress than they’re worth. Spending time with your family doesn’t have to be expensive and many free or affordable activities can actually help improve your overall health and wellness.
Here are some ideas for affordable family activities that also double as a wellness booster!
- Take a Road Trip. No matter how near or how far, jump in the car and go. Stop along the way to smell the flowers, literally.
- Go for a Walk: Walk around your neighborhood or a nearby park. Spend this time to connect by talking about your day, telling stories, or just acknowledging the beauty in nature.
- Buy Kites and Fly them: This activity is always great because it allows everyone in the family to enjoy the weather and tap into their inner child. Who doesn’t like to fly a kite? If you would prefer to make a kite, you can do that too!
- Go Swimming: There is something so tranquil about water and it can help your overall mental wellness, plus swimming is fun for everyone. Find a public pool, lake, or beach, and dive in!
- Plant a Garden: This is an activity that contributes highly to emotional and mental wellness. This activity allows for stress relief, teaching the importance of hard work and healthy eating.
- Volunteer: Animal shelters, a food pantry, habitat for humanity – the options to volunteer are endless. This helps to promote self-esteem and gratitude for what you’ve got.
- Exercise Together: Going for a walk is of course exercise, however, you could get fancy with the exercising and do a family yoga session, jump rope, or even go to a gym together.
- Make a Scrapbook – This can be a scrapbook or gratitude journal of what you did during the school year as a family, the summer as a family, or even just a fun event that you would love to capture. Every family member can choose their own favorite part to commemorate in the project. These are fun to look back on after several years and helps make the memories stronger.
Unplugging and spending this free time focusing on each other can, over time, lead to a much healthier and fulfilling life.