Slow Cooker Italian Chicken-Lentil Stew Recipe
I have a bit of an obsession with lentils. They are healthy, affordable and require no soaking! This stew recipe only fuels my obsession.
So, without further ado, please meet my favorite lentils recipe!
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts 1. Sort and rinse lentils.
1 medium onion
1 medium zucchini
4 medium carrots
1 cup dried lentils
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 – 2 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cans diced tomatoes (14 oz ea.), undrained
Parsley, for garnish
Shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
2. Chop onion and zucchini. Slice carrots.
3. Remove fat from chicken.
4. In 3 1/2 – 4 quart slow cooker, mix onion, zucchini, carrots, lentils, broth, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add chicken.
5. Cover and cook on LOW heat for 5 to 6 hours.
6. Remove chicken and garlic from slow cooker. Mash garlic with a fork. Use 2 forks to pull chicken into shreds. Return chicken and garlic to slow cooker.
7. Stir in mushrooms and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low heat setting for an additional 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
8. Optional: garnish with parsley and sprinkle cheese on top.
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
1. Sort and rinse lentils.
The great thing is, this recipe is very versatile. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand.
Dip your favorite garlic bread, serve it over a bed of rice, or enjoy on its own!